Sunday, July 22, 2018

Erasure


I did a little experimenting today with something called an erasure poem. It’s basically what it sounds like—a poem created by erasing words from an existing text. I didn’t do them the way one is “supposed” to because I don’t care for a lot of white space in my poetry, (which probably indicates something dubious about my character, but I don't know or care what), and because I naturally tend  to a more narrative style. So I fudged it a little bit and came up with a hybrid method. Comments welcome!

Note: These poems are purely experimental and only lightly edited.


The Lion House

The day goes, dusk
saluted by neon light.
In the opinion of those who lay
back in long arm chairs,  badly dressed, plump
hands curled round their cups, evenings
are difficult to kill, each hour
a beast with a lump of raw meat in its jaws:
Swine, parrot, canary, dog.
Eyes fixed upon a thicket of sleep,
half-bodies of decaying sound, what you
hear if you stand in the lion house
when the bones are being mauled.
Little theories, ingeniously arranged
rouse the bedraggled clock. The lion
shakes his kill in day-worn jaws. 
The hours wheeze in a caustic dim.

The Spirit of the Home

It is an easy thing to make a beautiful
home because the world
is beautiful and manufactures everything, art and truth
made on principle. It is curious that false things,
those without honesty, without
the spirit of the home, have no place
in the scheme of beauty. The beautiful aspects
must be created by the family owner
through susceptibility and appreciation. The great
majority of homes have lines that underlie
their character. Somewhat akin to performance, the
artist must use the best methods.
The most potent beauty is apt.


A Ponderous Bridle

God doesn't want to see me
Chastened, tottering along
slow and tired with a ponderous bridle
in a valley with hundreds of years
of settling small affairs.
I will be a frying-size girl, scramble
the nest and grow where my crow
will be heard by the world.

--Kristen McHenry

No comments: