Sunday, February 7, 2016

Tomb Raider Tragedy, Foxy Pillow, Infinite Jest

I was going to post my review of the new Tomb Raider game this week, but a calamity befell me in the form of a raging cold that took me out of work for two days—two days during which ironically, I was too sick to game. What with one thing and another, I haven’t been able to get back to the game for a full week, so I haven’t played enough to write a proper review. Soon, though. My fingers are itching for some quality time with Lara Croft!

My fingers have also been itching to finish my new throw pillow:



I’ve completed the pattern; now I just have to face the boring technical sewing part. I’m really happy with how it looks, but I have limited space in my apartment for throw pillows, so if you want this one, just say the word and I’ll mail it to you. Bam, a free foxy pillow! All you have to do is ask.

In a moment of weakness while I was too sick to do anything but lie on the couch, I pulled the trigger and downloaded “Infinite Jest” on my tablet. I managed to read a few chapters, but have barely put a dent in the 1,000-page opus. As discussed in a previous post, I usually avoid Big Important Books, especially ones that are described as “sprawling”. Infinite Jest is definitely sprawling. Maybe it’s because I read it in a Theraflu haze, but I have no bloody idea what is going on with the plot. However, there is a strange genius to it.  Once I got past the odd narrative style and let go of trying to make any sense out of it, I found myself enjoying the crazy.

This will be a short post this week since I blew most of my day formatting a query e-mail to an agent. I sent two queries today, in an attempt to toughen myself up and stop being so emotional about the process. (So far it hasn’t worked, but I expect my query-sending callouses to build up soon.) To tide you over, here’s a very silly vampire sketch from Key and Peele. Warning to the sensitive: It contains swears and sexy stuff.


--Kristen McHenry


No comments: