Sunday, June 29, 2014

Idiopathic Crankiness, Drippy Blouse Rage, and Some Things to Amuse You While I Sulk

I was cranky and upset today for no particular reason; just a lot of life and work stressors finally getting to me, I suppose. After crying into a cup of peppermint tea Mr. Typist made for me, I decided I just needed to get out for a while. I’ve been meaning to pick up a few light work tops to get me through the six weeks or so of actual hot weather we get in Seattle. Nothing pricey or designer—just a few presentable items I can wear on hot days, since 90% of my wardrobe is sweaters and knits.  I must suffer from shopping-related amnesia, because I decide to do this “quick shop to get me through” every effin’ summer. And it never works out. Ever. Which is why I have exactly two, summery, work-appropriate tops, which are probably five years old by now. I’ve ranted about this before, so I’ll be quick, but--what the hell are retailers thinking??? I went to four different stores, and the entire excursion was a nightmare of garish maxi-dresses, cheap, itchy-fabric tops, hideous florals, tacky jeweled necklines, and the bane of middle-of-the-road retail stores everywhere—the Drippy Blouse.

You know what I’m talking about: That ubiquitous, foufy, unstructured blouse with a million swathes of criss-crossing pleated fabric, extraneous sleeve components, and frivolous stringy things that just hang down off of it for no reason whatsoever. As if it’s not busy enough, the Drippy Blouse usually comes in some terrible clashing print or eye-scalding shade of acid melon, lime green, or yellow. Sometimes the Drippy Blouse also has a tacky jeweled neckline. This trend has got to stop. It’s driving me slowly mad, but it shows no signs of going away anytime soon. I came home empty-handed with a sore knee.

Aside from my Drippy Blouse Rage, I’m still a bit moody, and I’m not up for much blogging today. Besides, I have to biff off shortly to eat a homemade omelet dinner on our Kitchen Table of Science, meaning our kitchen table, which has been colonized by a thick jungle of electronics, batteries, wires, and robotics parts for Mr. Typist’s latest experiments. I don’t know what goes on on that table; I just hear intermittent zapping sounds and the occasional evil cackle.

In exchange for shirking my blogging duties, here’s a peek into my internet viewing adventures this week. It’s all the deliciously strange and mind-expanding stuff I like to look at to remind me that the world is indeed a mysterious place, and there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, yada yada. (Yes, I yada-yada’ed Shakespeare.)

A Shamanic View of Mental Illness:

The Global Consciousness Project:

Neurogaming:

Weird Theories to Ponder:

Not Strange, Just Some Good Advice:

And a bonus video, just because it made me laugh and feel proud of my city today, despite my mopey attitude:




--Kristen McHenry