Thursday, February 24, 2011

Notes on Surrender

Notes on Surrender

We when we think
of surrender we think
of salmon, of their thoughtless yielding
to biology, and of those
poor saps in archaic tales,
forced to slaughter their own
to learn the nature of loss.

So forgive me but today I shredded
with my own hands each
of your bouquet’s petals
just at the peak of their bloom. My fingers
stink of rose. I have wiped
their tribal stains onto my cheeks.
I did it, understand, because
I resented their timing,
unwilling as I was to bear
witness to their death--not this dozen,
not these.

How much has God lost
to our disregard for a mystery, to our
heroic, ham-handed
rescue of our ourselves?

Let us surrender this day to our cowardice, to our
one bad turn too many. Let fear
take hold of us completely, let us
offer it our necks.
It’s okay for a while to cower
frozen in our terror,
to clench and hide,
until starving,
we emerge to search for home.


--Kristen McHenry


Image from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlefeather100/2985784575/

2 comments:

Anne Harrington said...

wow

Jo-Ann said...

There are too many lines that are too poignant, too perfect, for words so may I repeat what Anne said, "wow".