Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Failure

Failure

This
which at its inception was in pieces
cannot not absorb
does not synthesize
stays violently still
maintains impermeable boundaries
has lost all pliability
cannot not defend itself
will not assert its will
remains lackluster
does not move under its own volition
is slow to generosity
holds air bubbles
is mistaken
doesn't go
will not rebound from force of pressure
indicates a credit risk
does not respond to social cues
shows few signs of interest
cannot not grasp the meaning of common phrases
demonstrates unwillingness
refuses what's offered
displays a marked lack of verve
has no close ties
wishes to be in control of situations
experiences no pleasure
acts out in ways unbecoming
shows poor conduct
is non-compliant
lacks respect for property
engages in magical thinking
disregards safety
anticipates abuse
requires constant reassurance
desires only the illusion
cannot perceive the permanence of unseen objects
loves only with attachment
entered the world this way
will exit the world
blessed in its wake.


--Kristen McHenry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.”

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”


“Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.”


“There are no failures - just experiences and your reactions to them.”


“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.”

“Life's real failure is when you do not realize how close you were to success when you gave up.”

“Success builds character, failure reveals it”


“Try and fail, but don't fail to try.”

“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.”

Kristen McHenry said...

“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.”

Yes, and yes to all of these,"Anonymous."

And thank you for going there with me today. It meant a lot to me.

Anne Harrington said...

I love your poetry Kristin. You need a chapbook

Kristen McHenry said...

Thank you, Anne! I do have a chapbook that is just waiting for a publisher to want it. Right it now, it's still an orphan :) But BlazeVOX got a hold me the other day and told me it was "still under consideration"--so, that's good news--or at least not bad news!